Friday, June 1, 2012

i get by with a little help from my friends

that's you! so, friends, i need a little help. i am working on a program for work which will (hopefully) encourage my teens to read more often and to get more out of the experience. what i need from you is suggestions. i am compiling a list of books which have been adapted to movies. which are your favorites? anything goes here, so don't be shy.


p.s. i have a favorite too. it's the princess bride


p.p.s. if you REALLY love me you will find and purchase this fantastic hardbound version of the book for me.


3 comments:

Kindall Family said...

My favorite movie is Stardust (similar vein to Princess Bride) and the book is pretty good, too. It's by Neil Gaiman.
I am a sucker for the Jane Austen books/movies.

If the kids REALLY want a challenge, tell them to try The Count of Monte Cristo. One of my very favorite books!

Deon said...

I have to agree with Kindall Family about the Jane Austen books. Simply my fave! Also, I do so, so, so love The Count of Monte Cristo; the book exceeds the movie by about a bajillion times over!

While the Jane Austen books will probably appeal to the girls, the boys might say, meh. For them, I would recommend maybe some Dashiell Hammett (The Maltese Falcon, the Thin Man). His books are truly "guy" books--a little gritty, a little course, but certainly appropriate for teens. The movies are superb.

Ellen said...

There are the current obvious ones that they will know-Harry Potter, Twilight and Hunger Games. There are also a few oldies but goodies-Pretty Woman is an adaptation of Pygmalion as is My Fair Lady. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, the Great Gatsby is an interesting book that has been done a couple of times and is now being done again. Les Mis is being done again also. My list goes on and on. That is what being old does!