Tuesday, July 31, 2012

run, forrest, run!

my sweet sister talked me into doing the preston biathlon with her this year. so after work friday, my mom and i booked it over to arimo (where my sis lives) to stay the night and then j and i got up at the buttcrack-of-dawn to head into preston for the race. i can't remember the last time i was awake at 5:30 in the morning but i assure you it won't happen again for a LOOOOONG time

we picked up our race packet and i'm sure glad our goody bag contained some chapstick because i definitely forgot mine at the house. i don't know if you've ever run with chapped lips, but it is NOT great fun. not for me anyway. round about 7:00 we lined up to start the race. my leg (the running part) was first. i've been training, so i knew i could finish, but i'm not very fast and i didn't want to give j the worst ever start so i pushed myself pretty hard during the first part of the race. mistake. i was really starting to feel it as i approached the halfway point/water station where we turned around to head back to the bikes. the runners at the front of the pack were cheering for those of us at the back of the pack as they passed. don't get me wrong, it was great to have some encouragement, but i must have looked pretty awful for them to cross the street to high five me. good gravy!

oh yeah, and they ran out of cups at the water station before i even got there. boo!

long story short, i made it back and i didn't die. i also didn't give j a very good start for her leg (the biking part) which was about 5 times longer than mine anyway, but i achieved my goal of not walking at all and there was a little fan club at the finish line cheering me on. mom and dad, boogs, tan man, j, and uncle gwyll even came up from logan to watch.

sometimes, i look ridiculous. this is one of those times.

j looking good at the start of the bike leg

dad and gwyll chatting it up

we're number one! seriously, look at our bib number :)

all in all, i'm really glad i did it, even if i am incredibly sore. oh, and did i mention that we got t-shirts for participating? shoot, i'll do most anything if i get a t-shirt at the end ;)


2 comments:

The McDonald's said...

Thanks for doing it with me! It was fun and you did great!

Chess said...

I only race for t-shirts and medals. :-)

Congratulations, that is awesome!!! And I bet you'll find yourself getting up early again for another race soon. It gets addicting. :-)