Sunday, May 23, 2010

beauty is only skin deep...maybe...

i am a people watcher. i am not a sociologist or an anthropologist or any other ologist, but i find human behavior fascinating and i like to analyze it in my own little non-scientific way. through all my "studies" the question that plagues me is this: why is it that you see tons of couples wherein the woman is far more attractive than the man, but rarely (if ever) see the opposite? i have my own theories on the subject but nothing with any concrete evidence, or any evidence at all besides my own opinions and experiences. until now, that is. i just read an article about the attractiveness of each half of a couple and how it affects the relationship. apparently, i'm not the only one who has been wondering. as it turns out this study shows that when the man is more attractive than the woman, he is less supportive, feel less satisfied and aren't as happy as others. on the other hand, when the woman is more attractive, she doesn't have the same issues. weird. also, completely unfair. some of us were really hoping to find an extremely attractive mate for no other reason than to give our kids a chance to be hotties. that plan would work if some of us were men, but the rest of us are out of  luck. or rather, our kids are out of luck. poor them.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am married to a man that (I think) is way more attractive than I am and he is amazingly supportive and hopefully satisfied. I read that same article though and have to think that if the woman is attractive and confident, it will result in their spouse feeling the same. Whereas if the male is more attractive, the woman starts to have doubts which result in their marriage. I think this goes back to the saying "If the Mama ain't happy, then no one is happy."

(I wish I were clever in my words, but hopefully you get my point.)

Lindsay said...

i think you might be right, but it's still disappointing

Anonymous said...

Well thats depressing :(
Nadiye x