Sunday, May 9, 2010

i was not prepared for this!

i was watching penelope the other day (cute movie. if you haven't seen it, you should) and i was struck by this line somewhere in the middle. penelope's dad is talking to her mom about the current state of their daughter's life and he says "we've spent so much time preparing her for the day that things are different, we never prepared her for the day that they are not." pretty profound moment in a cute little romantic comedy/modern day fairytale.  anyway, i woke up in the middle of the night after a super crazy dream (seriously crazy. it woke me up. that never happens) and once i fully regained consciousness, the ability to reason and had expelled the insanity that had previously been rolling around in my head, i had a thought. that's right i had a thought. who knew. so i had this thought about my life and about how everything up to this point has really only been a preparation for some day in the future when things will finally work out the way i (and apparently everyone else) had always hoped it would. i've spent all this time preparing for the day that things are different, i never prepared for the day that they are not. granted, penelope was waiting to break a curse and shed her piggy face, and i have no such curse, but i think it still applies. the thought returned earlier today as i was watching a lot like love (i watch a lot of movies. i probably have too much time on my hands) and there is this part where the older brother says (actually he signs it. he's deaf, but it's really the same thing so this parenthetical was unnecessary. sorry) "oliver, this is your life. right now. it doesn't wait for you to get back on your feet." this is my life. right now. it's happening and i feel like i'm missing it because i spend so much time looking forward to the next phase of my life, that i forget to enjoy this one. not okay! new plan. live life on purpose. it's time to stop saying "someday..." and start doing all the things i keep saying i'm going to do with my life. hopefully this means plenty of blog posts about all of the wonderful and exciting things i'm doing with my life (present tense, not future), so you should all look forward to that...

3 comments:

Ashley said...

I am looking forward to those posts! Great thoughts, Lindsay. They definitely apply to one and all. I'm glad you thought Penelope was cute. I haven't seen it, and wasn't sure what I thought about the previews. I should rent it!

Ashley said...

P.S. I went to WinCo foods, and half my reason for going there was to get the renowned chocolate-covered gummy bears, but they were all gone! (It was Grand Opening, it was a zoo.) But I did get the normal bears, and you were right, they are good! They are, um, gummier (moister is not the word), than normal bears. Yum!

Chess said...

Penelope is in my Top 10 right now. I just love that movie. And that line you quoted is especially powerful. I also agree that I need to worry about what is happening right now and not about what MIGHT happen in the future. Thank you for reminding me about that! :-)