Sunday, June 20, 2010

dear old dad

today is father's day, and, as i suppose i ought to, i've been thinking a lot about my dad and how cool he is. i mean, my awesomeness didn't just appear out of thin air, it was bestowed upon me by my parents (yes, mom too). after much deliberation, i have compiled the following list of lessons learned from my dad over the years. sort of a top ten of life lessons, except there are 13...
  1. if you put it away when you’re done with it, you will always know where it is
  2. use the right tool for the job
  3. respect your mother
  4. weekends are play time, but only if you’ve done the work during the week
  5. spending time with family is never a waste of time
  6. don’t spend money on frivolous things
  7. the library can be your best friend
  8. buy the best one you can afford and then take good care of it
  9. if you’re going to do something, do it right the first time so you don’t have to do it again later
  10. it’s okay if you aren’t the best at something, as long as you try your best
  11. “roughing it” doesn’t have to be rough
  12.  good music should be listened to loudly, and often
  13. john wayne is awesome

3 comments:

Ashley said...

That is all such great advice! Happy Father's Day Uncle Sherman!

Deon said...

Who is this wise man, and what have you done with my brother? :D

I live by #12. I ask Sean and Christian, "How must we listen to Cheap Trick?" And they always know to say, "Very loudly!"

Ellen said...

Funny I do believe he has said each and every one of those many, many times!